Sunday, September 4, 2011

Cheerful Balloons CD Holder

  I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend so far.  We've gotten some stuff done around the house and took the boys to see Cars 2 finally.  Alex actually made it through the whole movie which surprised us.  I guess the constant stream of popcorn and then a lollipop helped!  I even saw one of my stamping ladies there with her daughter....Hi Jill!

  Today I'm sharing a project I made a few weeks back.  I made this CD holder to send to my cousin who visited with her kids about a month ago.  She had forgotten to pack her camera so I was in charge of taking pictures during our Richmond Fun Week.  I burned a CD with the photos but of course I wanted to make something cute to protect it.  This would be a great project to make using the new Simply Scored Scoring Tool that is in the Holiday Mini.  I didn't receive my Holiday Mini preorder in time to make mine though.  The Simply Scored is a really cool tool that helps you score perfectly every time.  It has neat little place markers that you move around depending on the measurements for your project.  This is a wonderful feature if you're making multiples of something; you don't need to keep measuring, just follow the place markers.  I hope to have a tutorial in the next week or two using the Simply Scored so you can see how easy it is to use.


 How cute is that?  The base of the holder is Crumb Cake and I put a piece of Pear Pizzazz DSP (from the hostess pack in the last catalog) at the bottom to represent the grass.  After I rounded the edges I stamped the clouds on the top flap with Whisper White craft ink.  They show up really nicely on the Crumb Cake cardstock don't they?  The balloons are stamped in Poppy Parade and Daffodil Delight, using ink pads and markers (for the striped balloon).  The baskets are also Crumb Cake.  I cut the balloons out and popped them up with dimensionals on the top flap making sure to not seal the flap down.

  The closure is simply a length of 1/8" taffeta ribbon threaded through a hole punched in the top flap and tied in a bow.  I did tie a little knot in each end of the ribbon just for an added detail.  Finally, the sentiment from Petite Pairs was stamped in Crumb Cake and then punched out with the 1 1/4" circle punch and mounted on a 1 3/8" Poppy Parade circle.  Here is the inside view (holding a My Digital Studio CD--- don't worry I didn't send that one to my cousin!), not the best photo but you get the idea.


  Thanks for looking!  Did you stamp today?

Stamps: Up, Up and Away, Petite Pairs

Ink: Crumb Cake, Poppy Parade, Daffodil Delight, White craft

Paper: Crumb Cake, Whisper White, Poppy Parade, Pear Pizzazz DSP (retired hostess pack)

Accessories: corner rounder, 1/8" taffeta ribbon, dimensionals, circle punches, small hole punch, sticky strip (for adhering the holder together)

2 comments:

  1. Such a fun idea! I bet your friend will love it. The pear & crumb cake are a great combination & the daffodil & poppy parade are great pops of color against the crumb cake. Really loving the Up Up & Away stamp set. Need to add that to my ever growing wish list.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!